Tiger Rout throws Pall Over Gridiron Prospect

Crimson's Grounded Offensive Collapsed before Princeton Touchdown parade Saturday

By J. ANTHONY Lewis

If there were any odd, unwithered hopes lying around loose before Saturday's football game with Princeton, they must have died a painful death before nightfall. Black as the 1947 grid season looked before, blacker does it look now for the tattered colors of the Crimson.

Charlie Caldwell's team was hardly rated as a power even on Ivy League levels, and what it did to the Crimson drove home with brutal effectiveness the cold, friendles facts that have been there for anyone to see since Dartmouth. Thirty-three to seven is no picnic; and after Brown's performance against Yale Saturday, the rest of the season does not look exactly like an amusing prospect, either.

Local Stands See

The Tigers showed the local stands once again what a well-drilled, intelligent, compactly balanced eleven looks like. More than that, the game told a short but pungent story about Crimson grid lacks.

Item: that running backs are about as plentiful on the home side of Soldiers Field as ospreys in the Gobi Desert. Harvard gained a net four (4) yards rushing Saturday, and except for Hal Moffie it was frequently hard to tell which way the backs were running.

Item: that without Jim Kenary in the game, Harlow's passers could probably come as close to their targets by kicking the ball as by throwing it.

Quarter backing Weak Item: that quarter backing for the Crimson is either inept or too deep for the average man to understand. Saturday Kenny O'Donnell, who had already missed with two point blank range tosses, elected to throw another on his own 34 with third down and less than a yard to go. The pass went into the small of Sam Adams back.

Item: that when Crimson defenders tackle an opposing runner, he is good for at least another three yard by virtue of unopposed momentum.

About the only bright spot in the otherwise monotonously depressing contest was the dramatic performance of Kenary when he was inserted just before half-time. A Princeton decision not to kick from the Harvard 45 on fourth down-a move that seems almost logical considering the 23 first downs the Tigers were able to roll up during the afternoon-set up the situation for the first Kenary performance since Virginia. In three plays, all neat, quick, good-looking passes the Crimson had its only score.

After that the game paralleled the Rutgers debacle almost exactly; high hopes at the half, with the Harlowmen only one touchdown behind and seemingly coming back; then collapse in the third and fourth period. The symbolic play was the first from scrimmage in the second half-a fumble or bad pass from center. After that even Kenary was not enough to stem the tide alone.

Most of that tide seemed to consist of Princeton's John Weber, Held under Wraps before the game, Weber ran wild through the middle of the Crimson line.

Harlow had spread his tackles by pre-game command, for fear of the Princeton close-lateral that puzzled Pennsylvania. Faced with that lineup, Caldwell simply sent his men through the center. Passing was little better than mediocre in the damp atmosphere except for Princeton's second tally, on which wing George Sella ran straight past defender Chuck Roche, took Dick Weat's 55-yard pass on the 12 and went on across