Rains Drive Varsity to Cage For Pass Offensive, Defense

Seagulls did the practicing on Soldiers Field yesterday as Dick Harlow moved his charges into Briggs Cage and for two and a half hours ran them through non-contact drills. The planned scrimmage had to be called off while the gulls spent the afternoon paddling around the Varsity practice field currently covered with from three inches to a foot of snow and water.

With Jim Kenary, Leo Flynn, and Ken O'Donnell throwing long and short ones, the A and B teams negotiated a long pass offense-defense drill as football practice, like classes, roared on despite the heavenly outbursts.

Stone Returns to Team

In nearby Dillon Field House, Dr. Quigley's team physicians made the rest of the news of the day by releasing their final pre-game medical report. Only end Walt Coulson and reserve center Steve Howe will be unavailable for the Bruin contest while erstwhile first-string center Don Stone was officially freed by the doctors yesterday after a month of restriction.

Stone, still weakened, is not expected to do much sustained work against Brown, but his return plugs the Crimson at one of its big weak spots of past weeks. Coulson and Howe are probably out for the season.

For the third time this week the Jayvees made like Bruins, and performed Providence plays against Varsity defenders dressed for combat work. Signal drills and line blocking exercises completed mid-week pre-Brown preparations.