Council Picks Six Men For Seminar Jobs

Appointments Start Fund-Raising Drive

Preparations for the second Salzburg Seminar in American Civilization received added impetus yesterday with the appointment of Ronald W. Pierce '47 as Student Council representative and temporary administrative secretary to the project.

Assisting Peirce will be an administrative-organizational committee, at present composed of five men, Carl Kaysen, chairman of the Personnel Committee which made the selections, announced. Named to the group were Constantine C. Brelis '49 Joseph D. Everingham '49, Roger. S. Kuhn '46, Thomas L.P. O'Donnell '47, 2L., and Saul Sherman '47 2L.

Committee Will Raise Funds

Peirce and his committee met yesterday after their appointment to start arrangements for a fund-raising campaign to support the project. Projected tasks of the group will be to arrange military permits and visas from European governments for the Seminar members and faculty, and lay the organizational groundwork in this country.

A goal of $60,000 to $100,000 to carry the Seminar through its next five years of activities has already been set by the Salzburg executive council.

Seats on the committee are not limited to the present five members, and Seminar officials expect to expand the number as work progresses, in an effort to strengthen the project as it leaves its pioneer stage behind it.

Permanent Appointments Later

Permanent appointments to the European staff of the Seminar will come from the committee at a later date. The men named will serve with the seminar at his home in Leopoldskron Castle in Salzburg, Austria.

The new group is an outgrowth of the Steering Committee of the Seminar, formed last September to supervise the project during the winter and spring organizational periods. Peirce, as chairman, will serve as assistant to Clemens Heller 1G, who heads the steering committee and is executive secretary of the overall Seminar endeavor.