Brown Stomps in Today as 13-Point Favorite

Return of Regulars Buoys Chance For Crimson Rebound in Stadium

By Robert Carswell

Neither the betting fraternity of New Jersey nor the urchins in the Square give Dick Harlow's gridiron machine much prospect when it rolls on Soldiers Field against Brown's polished 1947 eleven this afternoon at 2 o'clock before an estimated 15,000 fans. Judging from the gloomy record, the Crimson is not loaded for the kind of Bruin that invades Cambridge today looking for Brown's eighth win in 46 tries against Harvard.

Stocked with the familiar pass-throwing T-quarterback, the speedy halfback, and the charging fullback, the Brown team of this November unlike some of old, has manpower pretty much on a par with the best in New England. Last Saturday in New Haven's saucer, Rip Engle's solid line, averaging 203 from end to end, kept Yale's Nadherny and Jackson under control and had some observers comparing them to Brown's Iron Men of decades ago.

But on Soldiers Field this week there appeared some evidence that Dick Harlow's team might take arms against its record and win its first in four. The return of the wounded was the main source of hope for the team which Jim Feinberg will captain today.

Kenary To Play

The doctors and the trainers thought Jim Kenary was ready for more than three minutes of action today, and any sustained play by Adrenalin Jim should mean a working air attack to set off the ground effort. For the first time since Virginia the first four tackles were declared ready for more than scattered work, and for the first time since Dartmouth the center squad has two men, experienced at the position, equipped for play. Tighter backing up and more effective line blocking should result.

And as the third week in November comes up, prestigitator Harlow's autumnal magic might put in a pre-Yale game appearance. But Rip Engle's agile backs and rugged line will demand more than sleight-of-hand taming. HARVARD  BROWN Flynn (200)  LER  Boothby (200) Houston (200)  LTR  Rougvle (216) Drvaric (190)  LGR  lacuele (188) Glynn (195)  C  Regine (190) Feinberg (183)  RGL  Hodesh (196) Gorczynski (210)  RTL  Waiters (220) Felt (178)  REL  Flick (210) Kenary (183)  QB  Finn (170) Moffie (160)  LHR  Nelson (185) Gannon (180)  RHL  Kozak (168) Lazzaro (170)  FB  Green (178)

Ed Finn, who passes and calls plays for the Bruins, is probably the slickest T-quarter to grace Soldiers Field since Ed Clasby of the Boston College Eagles tested the Crimson in an early September scrimmage. Finn threw the winning pass against Yale last weekend.

Finn's backfield companion, Freddy Kozak, is a slippery runner and rates as one of the best punters in these parts, and behind him are two or three more almost as good.

Faverites by 13 points, the team from Brown has one real cause for alarm. In no game this year, except for parts of the second half against Dartmouth, has the injury-hampered Crimson functioned as a coordinated eleven. Coordination comes with practice, and as one of the coaches said this week, "One of these Saturdays we may look like a different kind of ball club."