Food Saving Scheme Would Cut Wheat, Get Better Diet

An informal group of Student Council members, reacting swiftly to the Council's postponement Wednesday of a University-wide food poll, has hammered out a revised poll for voluntary wheat savings, guaranteeing that all money saved under the program will be "applied to an improvement in the quality of the food served."

Questions on the revised poll, which will be distributed as soon as possible after receiving Business Office and Council approval, are:

1) Do you favor serving no bread or rolls one meal per day; 2) Do you favor serving pie one day fewer each week; 3) Do you favor serving no wheat cereals one day per week?

Streamlined from the earlier, seven-question version, the new poll contains substantially the same questions recommended last week by Citizens Food Committee Chairman Charles Luckman. The Council rejected the Luckman version mainly because it felt food quality in University dining halls is now so low that students would refuse to give any up.

Probe Food Preparation

To cover this contingency, the informal group will suggest to the Council Monday the formation of a sub-committee to investigate food preparation in dining halls.

In addition, the new poll, if accepted by Durant and the Council, states that "a cut in consumption of wheat products . . . would mean a . . . monetary saving for the University Dining Halls," and this money would be poured back into dining halls to improve food quality.

The program would conserve an estimated 2000 pounds of flour per week.