Watson Insistence on Officia Okay Snarls HYD Magazine

Administrative red tape snagged publication of the Harvard Youth for Democracy's new magazine, The New Student, last night, as HYD officials protested a University Hall ruling that all student organizations must receive prior approval before entering the publishing field.

Harry A. Mondelsohn '48, HYD president, termed the regulation "a violation of basic student rights," claiming that he "had no idea" that such a rule was in effect. "It's not in the printed regulations," he said.

Robert B. Watson '37, associate dean of the College, claimed last night that the College has the right to pass on any publication bearing the name "Harvard" out of Cambridge. "This is not censorship. When an organization decides to put out a publication they have to have permission to do so."

The group will now publish the magazine under the name of their parent organization, the national American Youth for Democracy, but College distribution of the periodical with the revised masthead must still be approved by Watson's office.

The new magazine was scheduled to hit the newsstands today or tomorrow. Watson claimed that he notified HYD of the regulations last week when The New Student first came to his attention. "It stands to reason," he said, "that publications must be approved by the dean's office. Loads of things are never in any printed rules," he added.

The matter will come up before the next meeting of the faculty Committee on Student Activities, Watson said.