Basketball Opener with MIT Nears

12-Man Varsity Polishes Up for Wednesday Tilt

By William S. Fairfield

With opening day of the 1947-48 Crimson basketball campaign only five days off, coach Bill Barclay has pared his Varsity squad to 12 men and steadily increased the daily practice tempo in preparation for the MIT quintet next Wednesday on the Engineers' home court.

Despite a tough schedule which includes Iowa, the remnants of Illinois' Whiz Kids, and national champions Holy Cros, Barclay is optimistic. "We'll give anybody we play a real battle," he says.

The former Michigan mentor who is entering his second year as Crimson basketball tutor has reasons aplenty for his optimism. His crew this year has more height, depth, speed, and experience than last year's five, which won 16 out of 25 contests.

With six foot six inch Bill Prior and six foot three inch John Rockwell working out at the vital pivot slot. Barclay has moved Captain George Hauptfuhrer (six foot three inches) to forward. Hauptfuhrer, who broke the Crimson scoring record last year with 394 points, will return to his old center post only to jump when Rockwell is in the lineup.

At the other forward berth, an open battle for starting nod rages between Clif Crosby, ex-Jayvee who has grown two inches since last year, and Walt McCurdy, voted most valuable player in the Navy for his outstanding work with the Iowa Seahawks, naval national champions:

Barclay has four veteran guards, Steve Davis, Bill Henry, Bill Brady, and Chip Gannon--all of practically equal ability. While it's a toss-up between the first three to see who starts against the Engineers, Barclay figures it will take time to round Gannon's football knees into shape.

Other members of the Varsity hoop squad are transfer student Erv Tomsovic, and two members of last year's Jayvee five, guard Rosy Rosinus and forward Frank Holt.