J. P. Thomas Out In Front as HDC Enemy of People

With only scattered returns untabulated last night, J. Parnell Thomas, Chairman of the House Committee on Un-American Activities, was way out in front of all other candidates in last week's HDC poll to determine the modern enemy of the people.

Thomas had amassed four times as many votes as The People who were in second place and five times as many as Robert A. Taft, Senator and presidential hopeful from Ohio, in third place.

The poll, rigged as a publicity stunt to advertise the Harvard Dramatic Club's fall production of Ibsen's Enemy of the People, got a response of 850 ballots in boxes placed in the House dining halls the end of last week.

Stalin, the only man suggested on the ballot, ran a poor-eight as Sex, Woman. Gromyko, Hearst, William Herman, administrative head of the dining hall, and VD received desultory support. Margaret O'Brien polled three votes.

Richard C. Harlow ran a poor fourth closely followed by William J. Bingham '16, head of the H.A.A., who appeared to have been the victim of ballot boo stuffing activities in Winthrop House.