Mowrer Asserts College Girls Shun Hearth, Demands Special Education

Women are tending to shun their domestic role in life, and the schools are aiding them in this trend, O. Hobart Mowrer, associate professor of Education, told the Students Association of Natural and Social Sciences last night.

Addressing the group in the Leverett House Junior Common Room on the topic Modern Woman and the Harvard Report," Mowrer told his audience that a girl's education should prepare her for distinctive tasks, and that her education should be distinctly different from male schooling.

Flaw in G.E. Report

Non-recognition of this problem of women's education constitutes a large flaw in the General Education Report, Mowrer told SANSS. Radcliffe's supplementary report on the G.E. program, agreeing with the earlier University study, steps into the same pitfall, he declared. "There is a tendency of students there toward the social sciences and psychology, as an escape from training for their role in life."

He found a growing number of women's schools aping male curricula not suited to their needs, and traced this evolution to the turn of the century when there was a large scale revolt against customs of the preceding cras--political, sexual, and intellectual.

Rivairy Rife

When women reach the point when they can compete with men, then they think they have hit the "big time," Mowrer said. New economic and political institutions apparently have freed the woman entirely from her home.

When one member of his audience told him that neighboring college girls say they resent being thrust into the role of wife and mother, Mowrer replied; "If they don't do it. I do not know who will."