Imminent Police Drive Threatens Overnight Parkers in City's Streets

Indications that a vigorous campaign against student violators of the Cambridge overnight parking ban would begin soon came last night from Central Square police headquarters.

Police have set no date for the drive, which would empower them to tow cars off the streets between 2 and 6 o'clock in the morning if parking lights are not on.

"For the present, we expect other more lenient measures will prevent the violations," Police Captain Patrick J. McCarty said last night. He reported the Traffic Bureau hoped appeals to University authorities and warnings to violators would bring enough results to call off the concerted campaign.

Citizens Complain

Complaints from the local citizenry that students' cars were blocking driveways and private thoroughfares precipitated the police action. Out-of-state autos were described by McCarty as the most frequent law-breakers.

For the present these cars will only be tagged, since there is no way to find in whose name they are listed. Owners of locally registered vehicles will receive warnings against future violations. "We don't like to remove the cars from the streets," McCarty said, "since it means the students will have to foot the bill."

The approach of cold weather and accompanying snow is expected to be the latest date at which the campaign against overnight parking will begin. Cars parked in the streets will be promptly towed away, since they constitute a block to snow-removal forces.