Tested on Inkblots and Pictures, '51 Guinea Pigs Make No Mistakes, but Get No Grades

Twenty exam-harassed students found temporary respite from the usual grind yesterday when they took a test with no words, no marks, and no wrong answers.

The 80-minute "Visual Impression Test," administered to Freshman volunteers in Memorial Hall, was nevertheless a dubious pleasure for meet of them. The majority handed in their papers with a growing feeling that they had just been unwittingly psychoanalyzed, as every question was of the familiar inkblot and what-does-this-picture-mean-to-you type.

All answers consisted of short essays personally interpreting the blots and the pictures.

Henry S. Dyer '27, Director of the Office of Tests, commented last night that the examination was not intended to analyze any individual student, but merely to establish a norm with which future results can be compared. He glowed with enthusiasm as he described the ten-year program the Office was conducting on the basis of these and other tests.

When asked to explain just what all these exams would prove, however, Dyer could only reply, "We're not quite sure."