51 Squads Win in Curtain Raisers

Yearling Basketball Team Smothers Tech 59-24 in Season's Opener

A vastly superior Freshman basketball team, out-passed, out-ran, and out-shot a smaller M.I.T. aggregation to the tune of 59 to 24 last night on the opponents' home court in their first game of the season. Tall right forward Ed Smith just couldn't seam to miss for the three quarters he played and high-landed 23 points from his 6 ft., 5 in of altitude.

Last night proved that the exceptional all-round improvement shown during the last week of practice in team play was not only a dream raiser. Plays clicked and extinguished any semblance of a Tech defense, with pivot-man Pat McCormick, his alternator John, Lombard, and Smith virtually roping off the backboard areas and tipping the points in at will over the heads of the M.I.T. quintet.

Lead All the Way

The Yardlings copped the lead in the first few minutes of play, arched it up into the double figures before M.I.T. scored once, and never relinquished the lead. McCormick and guard Quent in Styles were instrumental in this early rush.

McCormick, whose eye seemed to weaken as the game progressed totaled six points in the first quarter and only two in his next two periods of play for a total of ten points, second high of the game. Styles poled in four one armed field goals from deep court and set up several other baskets with his quick and deceptive passing.

Yardling Fred Wegner played a fast, snatchy defensive game and proved the sneaker in M.I.T.'s sporadic attempts at an offense. Engineer plays formed and up popped Wegner often with the ball. Jim Gabler was another fly in Tech's offensive ointment. His smooth ball-handling and passing kept Techmen moving fast in the wrong direction.

The Crimson played a rough, fast game. Tech had gift foul tries time and time again but missed consistently.