Swift Correction of Library Tieups Promised in Lamont Catalogue Plan

A brand new cataloguing and charging system will slash time consumption in the new Lamont Library, Keyes de W. Metcalf, Director of the University Library, said yesterday. Actual construction of the library is on schedule so far, but allowing for setbacks of labor, materials, and weather, Metcalf says "we would be overly optimistic if we expected it to open before January 1, 1949."

Designed primarily to out to a minimum the amount of time taken in getting a returned book back on the shelves, the new system will give each volume an arbitrary numerical listing which will be written on a small dated slip of paper inserted in place of the present date sheet when the book is charged.

Upon return, this slip will simply be removed and the book put directly on the shelf. There should thus be no delay while the borrower's signed card is located, since the slip of paper can be checked against it later.

To Move In One Weekend

Actual moving of the 75,000 volumes can be done in the space of a weekend, Metcalf stated. Widener will connect with the Lamont Library by tunnel, and a section in D stack next to the entrance is already set aside for books ready to go, Metcalf hopes that the lower sincks in Lamont will be ready before the upper portion is completed, so that moving can be staggered.