Hook and Ladder Lifeguards Rescue Stoughton Residents

The Louis fight met with a formidable contender for the center of attention last night when Freshman gymnasts in the north entry of Stoughton Hall broke the fourth floor sprinkler system, setting off the fire alarm.

Onlookers reported a stream of water spraying 30 feet from the building through the hall window and drenching the stairwell all the way to the first floor. "The water was three inches deep on the floors," said Norman Hinerfeld '51, "but the rooms were undamaged."

Cambridge firemen, arriving on a book-and-ladder truck and a fire engine, showed little appreciation of their undue summons and remarked to questioning Yardlings that they were merely on a practice run. "Five Yard policemen were present to preserve the remaining modicum of order among north-entry residents.

Survey Damage

University employees, armed with flashlights, gathered in the darkened stairwell to trace burnt out electrical fixtures and sadly contemplate plaster falling from the hallway ceilings. They vowed that University officials would uncover the culprit or take disciplinary action against the whole entry.

George Walker '51 finally came to the rescue of his drenched entry mates with the hitherto unthought of idea of turning off the sprinkler system from the wall valve.

Stoughton Hall boasts one of the most colorful histories of any college building here, dating back to colonial days.

Copey lived on the top floor of Stoughton Hall.