Basketball Gains Momentum As Team Tops Brown 63-46

By William S. Fairfield

Three days of intensive practice between the M.I.T., and Brown basketball games plus the added incentive of an Eastern Intercollegiate League rival made Bill Barclay's varsity five look like a new team as the Crimson out-fluessed Brown 63 to 46 on the Indoor Athletic Building court Saturday evening. It was the second Crimson win in as many starts this season.

There was plenty of method in Harvard's scoring madness as several of Barclay's pre-arranged plays worked to perfection while Brain defenders looked on helplessly. Two of these, both double-tips from the jump, were especially successful against coach Bob Morris' revamped Providence quintet.

Hauptfuhrer Matches Brown Sport

The cool-headed Varsity played heads-up ball, retiring at the half on top of a 29 to 13 count. With Bruin forwards Jim Cooney and George Tyrrell catching fire and scoring nine points apiece after intermission, the visitors seemed sure of narrowing the margin until Crimson captain George Hauptfuhrer found the spree contagious and himself poured 14 points through the hoop before the finish.

The contest was unusually rough and, with referees Murphy and Gentile calling fouls at a rate of more than one per minute, Bruins Bob Smith and Ernie Corner and Crimson center Bill Prier were removed from the game with their quota of five before the final horn.

Although Hauptfuhrer and center John Rockwell led the Crimson scoring with 23 and 17 points respectively, the real here of the contest was guard-forward Bill Henry, whose play-making and defensive work was spotless.

The Crimson summary:   FG  FT  P Hauptfuhrer, rf  8  7  23 Prier  1  2  4 Crooby, lf  2  1  5 Brady  1  0  2 Rockwell, c  6  5  17 Holt  1  0  2 Henry, rg  3  1  7 Tomsovic  0  1  1 Davis, lg  0  0  0 Gannon  1  0  2 Rosinus  0  0  0   23  17  63