Allies Sign Peace Pacts in Paris; New Palestine Strife Imminent; Churchill Attacks 'Coalition' Rule

Five Treaties Signed

PARIS, February 10--The Allies signed peace treaties today with Italy and four other German satellites in a historymaking ceremony, but the ink was scarcely dry before violence flared in Rome and in Pola, Italian naval base coded to Yugoslavia.

The Italian accord, which strips that country of her colonies and a large portion of Venezia Giulia at the head of the Adriatic, was signed at a morning session in the brilliantly lighted red and gold Salon de I'Horloge room of the French foreign office.

Treaties for Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary and Finland--all paying the price for helping Adolf Hitler to scourge Europe--were signed in that order during the afternoon session. The United States was a party to all except the Finnish pact. Twenty allied nations participated.

A British brigadier was shot and killed at Pola by an Italian woman, and angry Italian students assaulted the Yugoslav legation at Rome in protest against the Italian pact.

Demonstrators jeered in front of the United States, British and Russian embassies in Rome, and shouted "buffoons" at the meeting place of the Italian constituent assembly. Italy observed a 10minute interval of mourning over the terms of the treaty.

Representatives of Italy and Yugoslavia, which had threatened not to sign the Italian treaty, reluctantly affixed their signatures, although both nations had protested against the new Italian-Yugoslav frontier, which creates an international zone around the port of Trieste.

Yugoslav foreign minister Stanoje Simie signed without comment, but handed a note to the French Foreign Ministry asserting that his government was "roundly disturbed" that Yugoslav territorial proposals "have not been taken into consideration."

The note specified the Canale river valley, the region of Goriza, Venetian Slovenia, Montfalcone, Trieste and the northwestern section of Istria as areas which should have been taken away from Italy and given to Yugoslavia