Food Relief Committee Plans Drive for $25,000

Council Group Organizes for College Campaign in March; R.D. Campbell Is Chairman

Desperate pleas for food for undernourished University students all over the world were answered in part yesterday by Student Council President Levin H. Campbell, 3rd '48 as he announced Council authorization of a second emergency food relief campaign that will attempt to raise $25,000 from University students and faculty members during the week of March 3.

Reappointed Chairman of the Food Relief Committee, Richard D. Campbell, Jr. '48, immediately began reorganization of a University wide network of men and women who will contact more than 14,000 persons during the drive.

Need Still Acute

At a meeting of his Committee yesterday, Campbell cited recent cabled reports from Athens, Warsaw, and Peiping from representatives of the World Student Relief that described the food situation among students of those cities as "extremely grave."

Explaining that a dire need has existed throughout the summer and the fall, Campbell pointed out that supplies purchased from the $12,000 collected here during August were still being distributed. "It is very unfortunate," he stated, "that the shipping strike has delayed them for so long."

Viennese Students Write

He disclosed, however, that letters of thanks were arriving from Vienna in response to the second series of food shipments.

"Overjoyed, we received news a short while ago--that again you have in the true sense of friendship--without many words--rendered us help," wrote students of the University of Vienna. It was sufficient to give each one of our members one Kilo (about two pounds) of sugar, an amount almost unimaginable for anybody today."

With his Committee still wrestling with details of the drive, Campbell asserted that he would soon disclose means of collection, the agency through which the food will be distributed, and the recipients of the gift.