Varsity, Yearling Fencers Win Both Weekend Battles

Manager-Captain Donald Van Roosen's prediction of a victory over Brown last week came true in a big way Saturday as the Varsity foreign team thrust and parrled its way to a one-sided win over the Providence swordsmen in all three events of the battle at the Indoor Athletic Building.

At the same time, a strong Freshman team held its Andover opponents to a near shutout, allowing them only two victories in 27 bouts.

Brown Blanked in Sabers

The Varsity squad completely blanked Brown in the saber division of the encounter, taking all nine matches. In the foils contest, Crimson duellers took six of the events, and in the close epee fight they emerged on top, five to four.

The victory over Brown was the second for the unbeaten Varsity swordsmen, who defeated Amherst in an earlier contest. The Yearling squad had stopped Exeter and bowed to a quick-thrusting Worcester aggregation in previous battles.

The Varsity lineup: Foils--Barricelli, Edelman, Hubbard, Raney, Van Roosen, Vera. Saber--Barricelli, Edelman, Elis, Gay, Toenges. Epee--Duke, Johnson, Masterson.