Nineteen Vets Win National Scholarships

Awards Will Cover Two Terms; Vincent Moravee '50, 1947 Grid Captain, Receives Grant

Nineteen undergraduates, among them Vincent P. Moravee '40, captain of the 1947 football team, have been awarded Veterans' National Scholarships, according to an announcement by Francis S. Van Stade, Director of Scholarships in the College.

Set up in April to augment the national scholarship program inaugurated by President Conant in 1934, the awards are granted ordinarily to veterans whose education has been interrupted by service in the armed forces of the United States or the United Nations, in the American Field Service, or in the Merchant Marine.

Recipients are chosen on the basis of grades, character, extra-curricular activities, and intellectual promise. Stipends vary according to the needs of the individual man.

Recipients Listed

Those who received scholarships are: Theodore P. Allegretti '47, John C. Babcock '47, Joseph S. Berliner '48, Paul E. Des Marais '49, Morgan J. Doughton '47, Walter S. Frank '49, John L. Hawk '49, Frederick W. Kinsman '49, William G. Lawrence '50, Mark W. Leiserson '48, Bernard Loitman '40, Donald P. MacDonald '50, William W. Mee '47, James M. Menger, Jr. '48, Vincent P. Moravec '40, William F. O'Connor '49, Berol L. Robinson '48, Abe Schestopol '49, and John M. Teem '40.

Eight of the 'recipients served in the Army, seven in the Army Air Corps, two in the Navy, one in the Martime Service, and one was a Navy Aviation Cadet.

Twenty-three-year-old Moravec, who hails from West Bridgewater, Pa., holds the Purple Heart for wounds received in a Naval encounter at Anzio Beach. He studied at Lehigh University before entering the service.