Competition to Open Monday for All Crew Managerial Hopefuls

Co-managers Alexander Watson '45 and Howard B. Sprague '46 of the Varsity crew announced yesterday that the first full scale managerial competition since before the war will open Monday, at 7 o'clock in the H.A.A. administration office.

As a concession to the upheaval caused by the war years, there will be a relaxation of the usual competition rules for the two upperclass jobs--Varsity and 150-pound managers--to allow any Sophomores who wish to enter the competition to do so. Freshmen candidates will compete for Freshman heavy and 150-pound managerial slots.

The winners of the competitions will receive awards at the end of the season: the Freshman heavy and 150-pound managers receiving major and minor numerals respectively, and the Varsity managers receiving major and minor letters respectively when they finish their seasons as head managers of Varsity heavy and 150-pound boats.

Watson and Jones said that the scheduling of four races away from Cambridge should assure each candidate at least one trip during the season. They also stressed the valuable contacts which may be made by members of the managerial staff.