Outing Clubbers Leave Cambridge For Purer Clime

Far from registration quenes and study cards, 20 hardy individuals of the Harvard Outing Club passed their between term interlude on the snowy slopes of Mount Mansfield, Vermont, living in tents and huts, skiing, and enjoying the rigors of "outdoor life."

Last week's trip was typical of the many outings run by the HOC during the term, while monthly HOC square dances, which brought crowds of cavorting co-eds to Memorial Hall from as far as the back hills of Wellesley, were directed and called by Joseph A. Blundon '48, one of the outstandings folkdance experts in the East.

This term will see a renewel of the square dances, and H. R. Bryant '48, club president, has announced, pointing out that there is "often a surplus of women" at the affairs.

While the square dances are open to anyone who can raise the 60 cents admission, the actual "outings" are limited to club members, but Bryant hastens to explain that HOC membership is open to any member of the University.

One-day bicycle jaunts, often in conjunction with outing clubs of neighboring women's colleges, average 35 miles round trip. These journeys have taken in such points of interest as the Blue Hills, Cape Ann, and Walden Pond, of Thoreau fame.

Temporarily inoperative due to the usual rigors of New England winter, this branch of the HOC plans to take to the roads again with the first breath of spring.

Although relying on bikes for spread and ease of travel, the HOCers are not above the most ancient method of transportation. Hikes, which start with the Boston subways conveying the walkers to the outskirts of the metropolitan area, have taken the HOC to the Blue Hills and the Lynn woods.

Bee-line marches, and winter trips which involve harder work than walking, are sometimes softened by feminine presence, but when rock-climbing projects are planned, the girls often drop out.