500 Buyers Turn Out for Widener Spare Book Sale

More than five hundred book-bargaining students found their way to the subterranean Collating Room of Widener Library yesterday, in response to a sale of duplicate and unneeded volumes from the Library stacks.

Eighty percent of nearly 600 books placed on sale were sold during the day, according to James W. Pirie, administrative assistant in the Library.

"We were astonished by the large amount of interest shown, and we have decided to hold a similar sale every month, or as often as a sufficient stock of duplicates accumulates," Pirie said.

Books in foreign languages were among the best-sellers, and went rapidly, he noted. The assortment was widely varied, with history and literature subjects more numerous than others. Prices ranged from ten cents to several dollars. Some pamphlets were also sold.

The remainder of the duplicates will be offered to the public today from 9 to 5 o'clock as announced, in spite of yesterday's near sellout.

Similar sales have been made by Widener in the past, but have never before been greeted so enthusiastically, Pirie also said.