New Evidence Of Suicide in Harmon Case

Medical Examiner Gives More Facts Indicating Intentions Of Deceased to End Life

Evidence suggesting that Eugene E. Harmon '50 died of a self inflicted wound was released by City Medical Examiner William J. Brickley last night, three days after the ex-student's body was found in the Mystic River beneath the Chelsea north drawbridge.

Information uncovered on Harmon's activities immediately after his sudden withdrawal from College last December 7 fixed the time of death very close to that date. Before he left Cambridge "he did those things a man would do who was going to alter, or to end, his life," said Dr. Brickley.

Last Letters "Melancholy"

Three letters written to friends, now in police possession, Dr. Brickley declared, had a distinct "tone of melancholy." Harmon also sent many of his personal effects back to his family in Churchville, New York, and transferred "a large sum of money" from his Cambridge bank to another depository.

Where Harmon resided after he left College until his death from a small calibre revolver as yet unfound, was withheld by the authorities.

Circumstances tending to discount the suicide theory--the fact that Harmon was found in a river--were discounted by police. "A psychological call to the water," since the deceased had been an officer in the merchant marine and had frequently spokes about reentering, was suspected by Brickley.

Harmon, noted Brickley in conclusion, probably was right handed, since he had a water-soaked watch strapped to his left wrist. The path of the fatal bullet checks with this data.