Hauptfuhrer, Fuller Named '48 Captains

High-Scoring Basketball Center To Lead Next Year's Quintet; Wrestlers Pick Heavyweight

George J. Hauptfuhrer, Jr. '48, of Lowell House and Jenkintown, Pa., was elected captain of the 1947-48 Varsity basketball team yesterday at a meeting of his letter-holding teammates at Dillon Filed House.

Meeting an hour later, the Crimson wrestling squad selected Peter Fuller '46, of Winthrop House and Boston to direct the team next season.

Hauptfuhrer, 20-year-old Varsity center, was the fifth highest scorer in the Eastern Intercollegiate Basketball League this summer, and set a new Varsity season scoring record of 393 points in 25 games. The previous mark of 302 points was established last season by Wyndol Gray in 17 games.

The new court captain is a graduate of the Penn Charter School, and spent a year at Louisville University under the Navy training program before coming to Harvard. He played end for the varsity football team last fall, and scored a touchdown in the Tufts gme.

Fuller in Finals

Fuller, who is 22 years old, was runner-up for the Eastern Intercollegiate heavyweight wrestling championship at New Haven last weekend. Light for a heavyweight, the 190-pound Junior lost to only two opponents during the season, Bob Pickett of Syracuse and Columbia's Hank O'Shaugnessy, who repeated his victory at New Haven to win the Eastern championship.

After spending three years in the Marine Corps, Fuller returned to the College in February, 1946; but an injured hand kept him out of wrestling competition.

Nicholas A. Glaskowsky, Jr. '48, of Lowell House and Westfield, was named Varsity basketball manager for next year's squad.