Winter Sports Teams Name Leaders for 1947-48 Season

Hoelzer to Captain Swimmers Lavalle Rules Hockey Squad; Foster Heads Squash Outfit

Five winter sports team elected leaders for 1947-48 in the final official acts of the season Tuesday evening at Dillon Field House.

Hiram II. "Chuck" Hoelzer '49, of Leverett House and New York City, was elected to lead the Varsity swimmers next winter. Hoelzer, number one breast stroker in the 200-yard event, has been a consistent winner all season. He came from behind in a thrilling finish to win against Yale, and is a probable entry in the Eastern Intercollegiate meet this weekend.

Lavalle to Head Sextet

John E. Lavalle '46, of Adams House and Boston, is the new hockey captain, succeeding Johnny Crocker. Lavalle played regularly in the goal, turning in many outstanding performances against Eastern League competition, although hampered by injuries during the latter part of the season.

Lavalle, like several others on this year's outfit, got his basic hockey training at ST. Paul's School in Concord, New Hampshire.

Foster Squash Captain

Rockwood H. Foster '45, of Eliot House and Charles River, Massachusetts, is the squash captain for next year. One of the strongest men on the team, Foster finished the campaign by downing Princeton's ace, Longman, and then advancing as far as the quarter-final round in the Inter-collegiate Tournament at Dartmouth last week.

Foster is the son of Reginald C. Foster '11, former Crimson track star. His brother, Hugh K. Foster '50, was the number one man on the Yardling racquet squad this year.

John H. Gay '50, of Stoughton Hall and Sargenville, Maine, will lead the Varsity fencers in the coming season. He was a standout member of the team this winter, fencing in the sabre event.

David p. Knight '50, of Holworthy Hall and Grosse Point, Michigan, is the new rifle team captain. He is a high-scoring member of the present Varsity.

These elections completed the list of captain for next winter. George Hauptfuhrer and Pete Fuller were elected Tuesday to load the basketball and wrestling squads for the coming season.