Spring Grid Drills Intensified with Arrival of Harlow at Briggs Cage

By J. ANTHONY Lewis

The old master was in command at Briggs Cage yesterday as next fall's would-be gridiron stars rounded out a week of spring practice. Richard Cresson Harlow, just returned from a medical checkup and a short rest at his Maryland home, made the difference in what turned out to be a session of fierce 'supervised contact."

Harlow had been undergoing treatments in a Durham, North Carolina, clinic; according to doctors and the coach himself, he is now in better physical shape than he is now in better physical shape than he has been since he left the Navy 18 months ago.

Dick spent part of the late-afternoon workout conferring with his aides and with Captain Vince Moravec, but then moved on to watch a semi-scrimmage in which line-coach Hal Kopp was pitting his charges against each other in a series of simple plays.

On the line for Kopp's offensive team during the drill were lettermen Jim Fein-berg and Nick Rodis at the guards, Howie Houston at tackle, and John Florentino at end, with newcomer John Gorczynski adding punch at one of the tackle slots. Emil Dvaric shone on the defensive side of Kopp's lineup.

Bob Margarita, Harlow's backfield assistant, put his men through a passing drill early in the afternoon, with Bill Henry and Frank Miklos shining on the throwing end, and Harry Jacunski worked with his end squad, including such lights as George Hauptfuhrer and last fall's Junior Varsity star, Bill Fitz.