New Advocate Subscriptions On Sale Today

First Postwar Issue Will Hit News Stands in Dining Halls After Room-to-Room Canvass

Room to room subscription salesmen will carry 2000 copies of the Advocate's first postwar issue to the College today to continue the 80-year old tradition of the University's oldest publication. The Advocate will appear on Cambridge newsstands and in dining halls tomorrow.

The 36-page magazine has been edited by an interim committee of six men appointed by the Advocate trustees and headed by Donald B. Watt, Jr. '47. A full board will be elected from the candidate ranks sometime this week.

The Advocate cover, emblazoned with a red pheonix rising from smouldering ashes, harbors the short stories, essays, and poems selected by the editors and editorial candidates with an eye on "reader interest." Contrary to the earliest practices of the Advocate, the board has made itself a critical rather than a creative part of the magazine and is already looking for manuscripts for the April issue.

Former President Writes

The opening story of the inaugural is by Harold W. Smith '42 1G, a former president of the Advocate. Titled "The Fireman's Hat," Smith's work has been termed by John McC. Howison '47, head of the literary board "a serious fantasy."

Howison praised particularly the three poets whose contributions appear in the new Advocate. Works by Richard P. Wilbur 2G, have been borrowed for the occasion from a book of his verses currently in his publishers' hands. John L. Ashbery '49 and Ruth Stone have also seen their poems published before in literary journals.

Continuing the Advocate tradition of articles of "historical and analytical" interest is a critique of the United Nations by Stephen M. Schwebel '50, head of the College's U.N. Council.