World Record Holder From France Trains In Blockhouse's Pool

Although official Varsity swimming practice has been over since last week, the waters of the University pool are currently being churned by some of the finest waterwork ever seen in these United States. Working out twice daily in the Indoor Athletic Building tank is the aquatic world's newest luminary, French-speaking Alexander Jany.

The 19-year old French freestyler, unofficial holder of the world's record in the 200-meter swim, came over here on the Queen Elizabeth under the auspices of the A.A.U. to compete in the National championships in Columbus, Ohio, next week where Bill Smith of the Buckeyes will probably he his main rival.

Only off the boat for three days, Jany, an accountant in the swimming off-season, did a little exhibition swimming last week at the Easterns in New Haven when he ripped off a 51-second hundred and a 50-yard freestyle in well under 23 seconds. The six foot two-inch, 210-pounder is at present staying at Lowell with John Watkins, captain of the swimming team, and will train in the Block-house pool till he leaves for Ohio Saturday.