Varsity Five Downs Quakers, 64-48

Mariaschin, Hanptfuhrer Total 40 Points to Pace Crimson; Crossin Shines for Visitors

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Two high scorers, like two heads, are better than one, and the Varsity basketball team proved it last night in its defeat of the University of Pennsylvania, 64 to 48, before a sparse gathering at the Boston Garden.

Saul Mariaschin, with 22 points, and George Hauptfuhrer, with 18, more than matched the efforts of talented "Chink" Crossin, the Quaker captain, who also totalled 18 points. Aside from Crossin, the visitors had little to offer.

The contest was close for the first ten minutes, when the Crimson overcame a 21 to 20 deficit to move into a lead it never relinquished. Hauptfuhrer scored ten points in the second period on a variety of shots to spark the Varsity spurt, and Coach Bill Barclay's squad left the floor at the end of a high-scoring first half with a 38 to 30 lead.

Second Half Slow

Action grow desultory in the second 20 minutes, and the officials contributed to the gull by calling a foul almost every time the ball changed hands. Crossin's agile left hand occasionally brought the Red and Blue to within ten points of the Varsity, but Mariaschin's set shots and Hauptfuhrer's tip-ins kept the Crimson lead comfortable at critical intervals.

The Varsity wasn't up to its Columbia peak, but it didn't have to be. Complete Crimson mastery of both backboards proved a decisive factor in the victory, as the highly-touted Jack Colberg, Penn center, was obscured by Hauptfuhrer and colleagues underneath the basket.

It was the Varsity's fourth triumph in nine Ivy League contests, while the Quakers' record now stands at six wins and four losses. Next stop, New Haven.

The Varsity summary:   G  F  P Davis, lf  2  2  6 Clark  0  3  3 Page, rf  3  1  7 Noble  0  0  0 Hauptfuhrer, c  8  2  18 Mariaschin, lg  9  4  22 Brady, rg  4  0  8 Gannon  0  0  0 Henry  0  0  0 Totals  26  12  64