Yardlings Call for Improved Food, Rooms in Lowell, More Social Life

Better food and a room in Lowell House look like modified rapture to the Union-weary Freshman, according to a CRIMSON sampling poll to Yardlings tabulated last night.

More than 40 percent of those answering the poll hope to obtain a place in Lowell House for the coming three years. Better music rooms, record collections, the House library, and omnipresent gastronomic considerations seem to account for the majority of these choices, although two men were swayed by the apparently magnetic personality of House-master Elliot Perkins '23.

Standing second in Yardling favor was Eliot, where approximately 20 percent of 1950 hope to live. Dunster and Kirkland each drew just over ten percent of the choices, while Leverett (eight percent), Adams (seven percent), and Winthrop (five percent) brought up the rear.

Eliot Grill

Eliot's high rating should be attributed to its grill more than anything else, if poll replies can be credited. Dunster's unity and isolation, desirable to many after a year in the anthill surroundings of the Union, drew enough votes to put it in fourth slot.

Hopes of bigger and better House dances and smokers, a more "refined and cultured atmosphere" and such events as House plays brought votes for all seven Houses.

Parietal rules took a severe beating at the hands of the severely restrained Freshmen, as many polls brought answers yearning for life under a lighter disciplinary hand. Expectations ranging from a moderate "more frequent guest permission for meals" to a startling "midnight for women guests" found their way onto the blanks.

Seek Liberal Proctors

A few chronic soreheads came up with such remarks as "anything would be an improvement" or requested "proctors with some common sense." But offsetting these, many blanks were submitted by men who either saw nothing better in store than the Union had offered, or confined their requests to bathtubs, smaller common rooms, and intellectual stimulation.

Most Yardlings (44 percent) are planning to live in double suites, though almost as many indicated a preference for triples. Quadruple arrangements rated a poor third, while only a few men looked forward to roughing it alone in the Claverly caverns.