Varsity Nine Faces Huskies Today

Crimson Travels to Brookline, Beginning 3-Game Weekend; Reilly Will Start on Mound

Coach Adolph Samborski will have a chance to measure the depth of his Varsity baseball team's pitching staff in the next few days, weather permitting. The Crimson journeys to Huntington Field, Brookline, for a 3 o'clock contest with Northeastern today, the first of three engagements this weekend.

Beyond the Northeastern game are contests on Friday and Saturday with Connecticut and Holy Cross. Since the Crusaders figure to be the toughest club of the three, Samborski is saving his see, Red Connolly, for the Worcester clash. Brendon Reilly, a veteran right-hander who appeared in relief against Navy during spring vacation, will be today's starter.

Northeastern's Opener

The Huskies will be making their 1947 debut with four members of the squad which pasted the Varsity, 7 to 2, last May. They include catcher Bob Johnson, the second-base combination of Charlie Curll and Sleve Barmukian, and outfielder Joe Lynch. Right-hander Bob Bagwell is the probable starting pitcher for the home team.

Aside from Reilly, the Crimson will take the field this afternoon with the same lineup that faced Lowell Textile on Saturday, with the exception of Bill Hamlen, who will catch.

Walt Coulson and John Caulfield, the outfielders who have dominated the Varsity's performance at the plate, will share garden duties with Len Lunder, while the tight defensive infield of Bill Fitz, Captain Jack Forte, Saul Mariaschin, and John Coppinger remains intact.