Beren, Jacob Win Coolidge Awards; Debaters Gain Victory Over Tufts

Robert M. Beren '47 and Edwin J. Jacob '47 won the $100 Coolidge Debating Prizes in an oratory contest held yesterday afternoon. This was the second time that Jacob has won the award.

The prizes, established in 1899 by T. Jefferson Coolidge, Class of 1850, are awarded annually to the best speakers in the trials for the Harvard-Yale-Princeton debates. This year's H-Y-P contests will take place tomorrow night, when one Debate Council team will journey down to Princeton to meet the Tiger in its lair, while another trio will oppose Yale here.

Judging the Coolidge contest were F. Donald Kenney 2G; Frederick C. Packard '20, associate professor of Public Speaking; and Charles H. Weiland 1L.

In a debate at Tufts last night on the topic of labor participation in management, Peter H. Clayton '50 and Melvin L. Zurier '50 gained at 21 to 20 audience vote decision over the Jumbos.

Tonight at 8 o'clock in the Dunster House Small Common Room, a Debate Council duo will take on a team from Brown in a contest on the proposition: "Resolved, That labor should have a direct share in the management of industry."

Defending the affirmative for the Council against the Bruins are Clayton and Zurier.

The Council lost to Norfolk State Prison Colony in a contest held at the prison last Sunday. Speaking for the Crimson were Ellis Kaplan '46, Claude G. Richie, Jr. '49, and Detlev F. Vagts '49. This was the second straight time that the Council has bowed to the State Prison, as a prison team that included a Law School, graduate whipped the debaters last year.