Council Plans Extensive GE Program Poll

Ten Dollar Expense Limit Set For Electioneering to Stop Heavily Financed Campaigns

A thorough survey of all students who are taking or have taken General Education courses was outlined last night by the Student Council at its regular weekly meeting in Phillips Brooks House. Decisions were also made on Council campaign expenditures and the organization of an American Youth for Democracy group in the College.

The General Education poll will be conducted by forty interviewers who will talk personally with each of the 600 General Education students and fill out questionnaires giving the students' estimate of the courses. The results of the poll will be compiled and submitted to the appropriate faculty committee.

Faced with the problem of heavily financed or obstreperous Student Council election campaigns the Council set the limit of ten dollars as the maximum which any candidate or his supporters can spend in electioneering. No stipulation was made as to the manner in which the ten dollars can be spent. "They can swallow goldfish if they think the intelligence of the average voter is low enough to be influenced by that kind of campaigning," said Council chairman Richard G. Axt '46 at the end of the meeting.

Petition Approved

The petition of the group of students interested in organizing a College political organization following the general aims of the American Youth for Democracy was approved by the Council with the qualification that the group stay within all College regulations governing independent Harvard groups that are loosely affiliated with the national organizations. The petition was passed on the ground that the group would not duplicate the efforts of any organization already in operation and that the activities of the new group would not be detrimental to the best interests of the College.

Final action of the petition now rests with the faculty, who last Friday night failed to act when the evidence of the group's independence from national organization control was still incomplete.

Chairman Axt said that he wanted to remind all Freshmen Council candidates that their brief biographies must be submitted today.