Houses Elect Eight to New Council As Committee Releases Class Slates

Two Men Keep Posts

Eight undergraduates will join the 1947-48 Student Council as a result of their elections yesterday in College-wide balloting. The new representatives will combine with seven others, to be chosen by Class voting Tuesday, to form the new Council.

The men elected were: Adams, William H. Bayliss '46; Dudley, Robert Maier '48; Dunster, Ernest M. Howell '47; Eliot, Michael Rothenberg '49; Kirkland, Joseph D. Everingham '46; Leverett, Edric A. Weld '46; Lowell, Raymond A. Goldberg '48; Winthrop, William J. Richards '49.

Two current councilmen, Joseph D. Everingham '49 and Edric A. Weld '46, returned to office following the balloting. The only other member of the council to run was Francis D. Fisher '47, whose defeat is not conclusive at this time, since he will run as a class nominee in the Tuesday voting.

The proportional voting system used in the balloting worked out "extremely well," according to Richard G. Axt '46, president of the council. "In most cases the man who was ahead on the first tally won, and all the winners received clear pluralities."

Balloting in the Houses was heavy, stated Axt, as close to 90 percent of the residents cast votes in almost every House. This weight of voting was partly responsible for the wide margins of victory, each winner finishing 30 to 40 votes ahead of his nearest competitor.

These men will join the other new members to take office in the last week of the term. They will meet to elect officers within a few weeks, and may choose three additional members-at-large to fill out committee assignments next fall.