Golf Team Loses Chance to Shoot At Eastern Title

Varsity golfers trounced Holy Cross and M.I.T.--both by 81/2 to 1/2--last weekend, but a 6 to 3 loss to Brown gave them only a second place in the New England section of the Eastern Intercollegiate tournament, and prevented Crimson participation in the All-Eastern finals this week at Atlantic city.

Brown's team whipped through all three opponents in the matches at the Winchester Country Club, and thereby upset pre-game predictions that the Crusaders would be the only squad for the Crimson to worry about. Holy Cross's lone win was a 6 to 3 tally over the Techmen, who could not engineer a single victory in the tourney.

Wilcox on Top

Tyke Wilcox, the College's top fairway man, hit M.I.T, with a 75 on Friday afternoon, and the Crusaders with a 76 on Saturday morning, but lost top honors to Bill Rickenbacker's 77 in the final Saturday afternoon event against the Providence golfers.

Now that the possibility of gaining the Eastern championship has vanished for the Varsity, it can concentrate on the New England Intercollegiate tournament next weekend at Oakley Country Club in Watertown.