Crimson Crew Wins Regatta At Annapolis

First Boat Edges Navy with Sprinting Finish as Jayvees Trail Tech, Penn, Middies

Apparently the Varsity crew likes to see other college oarsmen row, and for the second successive Saturday, they seized the best vantage point--first place, this time against Navy, M.I.T., and Penn on the Severn River at Annapolis.

Victory last Saturday, however, was never as certain as in the previous week's outing on the Charles when the Crimson led M.I.T. and Princeton all the way. For not until the last quarter-mile of the mile and three-quarters course, after stroke Frank Cunningham had pushed the cadence to 40, did the Varsity take the lead away from Navy to win by a quarter-length. M.I.T. was third and Penn fourth.

Jayvees Third

The Jayvees did not fare so well, finishing third behind M.I.T. and Penn, although they consistently stayed near the front and trailed the winner by only half a length.

Rowing with the tide on the Severn, a salt-water inlet, the Varsity sweep-swingers covered the distance in nine minutes flat. Coach Tom Bolles' worries about the Maryland weather went for naught as the day was judged a good one for racing.

Even Start

Although the start was just about even, Navy, out rowed by Yale the Saturday before, swept to a lead in the first quarter of a mile and held it as the Crimson made its bid near the mile and a quarter mark. The Middies had only a six-foot advantage going into the last quarter mile where the Crimson Varsity went to 40 beats a minute.

The Varsity: Stroke, Cunningham; 7, Knaplund; 6, Strong; 5, Emmet; 4, Stone; 3, Gale; 2, Clark; bow, Scully; cox, King.

The Jayvees: Stroke, Filley; 7, Chanler; 6, Felt; 5, Ober; 4, Hanson; 3, Coffin; 2, Stuart; bow, Cox; cox, Pettite.