Forster Gives Reading from Three Novels

English Author Discusses India Problem, Music During Talk To Kirkland House Listeners

E. M. Forster spoke about India, about music, and a little about E. M. Forster at a personal reading of selections from three of his novels last night in the Kirkland House Junior Common Room before a packed crowd of 300 persons.

"The world's taken my advice," the 68-year old novelist chuckled, after being asked whether the views expressed in "A Passage to India" are his final opinions of the Indian question. He stated, however, that he is worried about "how the Indians are going to manage after the British withdraw."

Sees Temporary Hostility

"As soon as they clear out," he asserted, "there will be an immediate feeling of intense hostility towards them," but he indicated that after a year or so it would probably die out, and that then "a good deal of affection" may grow up between the two peoples.

Forster read the opera scene in "Where Angels Fear to Tread," the chapter on the caves and part of the last chapter of "A Passage to India," the symphony scene in "Howard's End," and 'My Wood," an essay. Asked about an antipathy for Schumann expressed in one of his works, Forster explained that he had "changed over Schumann," and inquired how the Americans now regard that composer.