Missouri Rules Army Track, Edging Out Cadets, Crimson

Columbia, Dartmouth Trail in 5-Team Nonagonals Preview; Fisher, Harwood Take Firsts

As was expected, Missouri's Big Six championship track team packed too many guns for the Varsity Saturday at West Point, but against Army, Columbia, and Dartmouth, all of whom will be here a week from Saturday for the nonagonals, the Crimson showed well.

Dartmouth and Columbia managed only 11 and 28 points respectively, to 47 1/2 for the Crimson, 60 for the Cadets, and 93 1/2 for Missouri. Striking with customary power in the field events, coach Mikkola's athletes helped themselves to 35 1/2 points, 20 1/2 of them in the pole vault and hammer throw. In the running events, it was a different story.

Only Captain Wes Flint was able to do much damage, picking up a second and a fourth in the hurdles. Wes appeared to have the final of the 120-highs well under control before he skimmed the next to last barrier too closely, knocked it into the mud and wound up second.

Meanwhile, at Andover Saturday, the Freshmen won another meet, this time by a 60 to 57 score.

The Harvard scores:

880-yard run--Ted Wilmington (5); one-mile run--Frank Gurley (4); 120-yard high hurdles--Wes Flint (2); 220-yard low hurdles--Wes Flint (4); one-mile relay--Dave Hamblett--Al Ruby-Arnie Edelman-Jim Wheeler (3); 16-pound shot put-Bill Jackson (3); 16-pound hammer throw--Jack Fisher (1), Sam Felton (2), John Thorndike (4); pole vault--Pete Harwood (tie for first); Bill Lawrence (3), Owen Torrey (4); javelin throw--Don Trimble (2), Ed Kaelber (5); high jump--Gene Harrington (tie for third); discus throw--Sam Felton (3), Bill Jackson (4).