'47-'48 Album Heads to Ask Book Merger

Class Committee Must Act on Union Proposal Today; Plan Would Prevent Duplication

A proposal for merging the '47 and '48 Albums will be brought before a joint meeting of the two Class Committees at Phillips Brooks House this afternoon, the chairmen of the respective Album Committees announced last night.

Even though one yearbook for both Classes is favored unanimously by the '47 Album Board, appointed last week, and the temporary nucleus of the '48 Board, final approval or disapproval must come from the Class Committees.

Same Publications Dates

"At present, the Album have identical publication dates, as set by the Class Committees," Richard A. Green, '47 Album chairmen, and J. Anthony Lewis, temporary head of the '48 yearbook, said in a joint declaration last night. "We feel that we have much to gain by publishing one book, instead of two, next June."

Amalgamation would, first of all, remove the obstacle of competition for advertising, they stated, and prevent needless duplication of sections such as Faculty, History, Activities, and Sports. With additional funds obtained from the merger, they added, these sections could be expanded.

More Subscriptions

The chairmen pointed out that with both Classes under on cover, doubled subscriptions and increased advertising revenue would provide enough money for the best materials and a larger book, giving a more comprehensive record of the years 1943-48.

Furthermore, they said, the two Classes have been so intermingled by the war that acquaintances and activities cannot be separated by Class lines.

While awaiting Class Committee action, the '47 Album staff has moved ahead with photographing Class members, securing subscriptions, and preparing biography and Class poll blacks for mailing.