Degrees to Bradley, Marshall, Oppenheimer

Doctorates Go to T. S. Eliot, Representative Wadsworth, Richards and Others

Two former Army generals and one of the world's foremost scientists received honorary degrees from the University this morning along with nine other national figures at the high point of Harvard's 296th Commencement proceedings in Tercentenary Theater.

Secretary of State George C. Marshall and Veterans, Affairs Administrator Omar N. Bradley--Army Chief of Staff and Twelfth Army Commanding General, respectively, during the war--were cited in their honorary Doctor of Laws degrees, presented by President Conant, for their double roles in American public life.

J. Robert Oppenheimer '26, who played a significant part in the atomic bomb epic, was awarded an honorary Doctor of Science degree.

Follows Last Year

With the naming of these men for Commencement honors, in part because of their wartime achievements, the University followed up last year's presentations, which saw honorary doctorates conferred on four of the nation's war leaders--Eisenhower, Arnold, Nimitz, and Vandergrift.

Returning to a University speakers' platform only three weeks after his Morris Gray poetry reading, T. S. Eliot '10 became the recipient of a Doctor of Letters degree, Ivor A. Richards, Lamont University Professor, received the other Letters degree.

The honorary degree recipients--with their noteworthy accomplishments, the title conferred, and the citations as read by President Conant this morning are:

George Catiett Marshall, Secretary of State and former Chief of Staff of the United States Army. Doctor of Laws. Citation: "An American to whom Freedom owes an enduring debt of gratitude, a soldier and statesman whose ability and character brook only one comparison in the history of this nation."

Omar Nelson Bradley, Administrator of Veterans Affairs and former Commanding General, Second Corps, (Northern Tunisia and Sicily), Commanding General, First U. S. Army (Normandy) and Commanding General, Twelfth Army Group (France, Belgium, Laxembourg, Germany). Doctor of Laws. Citation: "A master of the art of war who now serves those whom he once led; a courageous administrator, the nation is doubly in his debt."

James Welcott Wadsworth, former Senator and Congressman from New York. Doctor of Laws. Citation: "Senator and Congressman for a quarter of a century, independent and forceful representative of the voters of New York."

George Henry Chase '96, archaeologist, former Dean of Harvard University and, professor emeritus of Archaeology. Doctor of Laws. Citation: "Archaeologist and teacher, selfiess servant of the University in many posts; his geniality and humor have endesred him to countless gatherings of alumni."

Frank Learoyd Boyden, principal of Deerfield Academy, Dearfield, Mass., since 1902. Doctor of Laws. Cliation: "Schoolmaster and public spirited cliinen for forty-five years the principal of an academy made famous by his labors."

J. Robert Oppenhelmer '26, Director of Institute for Advanced Studies, Princeton, N. J. and former Director of the Santa Fe, N. M. laboratory that perfected the atomic bomb. Doctor of Science, Citation: "Brilliant director of the scientists and engineers who made a bomb from nuclear fuels; the expert behind the plan for the international control of atomic energy."

William Francis Gibbs '10, vice president of Gibbs and Cox Inc., naval architects, who was given the American Design award for making possible mass production of ships through standardization of parts. Doctor of Science. Citation: "Naval architect and marine engineer, in the forefront of his profession; the engineer of all manner of new craft for peace and war."

Thomas Stearns Eliot '10, Missouri-born English poet, publisher since 1923 of "The Criterion" of London. Doctor of Letters. Citation: "Once again the English speaking peoples hall a religious and learned poet whose words the world will not willingly let die."

Ivor Armstrong Richards, Lamont University Professor at Harvard, lecturer on literary criticism. Doctor of Letters. Citation: "Versatile and provocative philosopher and man of letters; the chief exponent of Basic English; a roving humanist whose teaching illumines many fields."

Ernest Cadman Colwell, President of the University of Chicago, former Dean of the University of Chicago Divinity School and author of religious books. Doctor of Divinity. Citation: "New Testament scholar of distinction, able executive and leader of the faculties, the president of a university of world renown."

William Hodding Carter, Jr., Editor and publisher of the Delta Democrat-Times, Greenville, Miss., and former publisher of the Cairo edition of "Stars and Stripes" and "Yank" magazine; awarded Pulitzer Prize for editorials in 1946, Southern Writers Award for his novel, "Wings of Fear." Master of Arts. Citation: "Writer and publisher, forward looking interpreter of the South, we welcome back a former Nieman Fellow."

William Addison Dwiggins, free-lance designer and typographical adviser of Hingham, Mass., America's preeminent designer of type faces (Caledonia, Electra, Metro and others), redesigner of periodicals (Harper's, The Atlantic Monthly, Century, Scribners, The Yale Review, American Mercury) book designer (A. A. Knopf, Harper Brothers, Yale University Press, Random House. The Limited Editions Club, Riverside Press, William E. Rudge, Harvard University). Master of Arts. Citation: "Typographical designer whose skill and creative imagination have left a lasting impress on the pages of our time.