House Passes Legislation Enabling Hawaii To Form Constitution, Become the 49th State

U.N. 'Police' Force

LAKE SUCCESS, June 30--United States officers on the United Nations military staff committee recommended tentatively today that the Security Council should have a basic force of 3,800 warplanes, 20 divisions of ground troops, three battleships and six carriers to keep world peace.

Soviet members of the ranking military group in the U. N. at the same time declined to make any suggestions. The Russians contended the 11-nation Security Council must agree on general principles for a world police force before getting down to actual numbers of men, guns, planes and warships.

The U. S. delegation, headed by Gen. Joseph T. McNarney, submitted its ideas, along with those of France and Britain, in a report to the Council.

The Council last week had asked the big five military committee to turn in figures by this afternoon on a force, although all acknowledged that the estimates would at best be provisional.

The tentative proposals for the overall force were:

U. S.--1,250 bombers, 2,250 fighters, 300 miscellaneous planes; 20 divisions of ground troops (an American division is roughly 14,000 men at full strength); 3 battleships, six carriers, 15 cruisers, 84 destroyers, 90 submarines.

Britain (with China agreeing)--600 bombers, 400 fighters, 200 miscellaneous--total 1,200 planes; 8 to 12 divisions, 2 battleships, 4 carriers, 6 cruisers, 24 24 destroyers, 48 escort vessels, 24 minesweepers, 12 submarines.

France--775 bombers, 300 fighters, 200 reconnaissance planes--total 1275 planes; 16 divisions (3 armored, 3 airborne, 10 motorized or mountain); 3 battleships, 6 carriers, 9 cruisers, 18 to 24 destroyers, 30 escort vessels, 30 minesweepers, 12 submarines.

The report was a collection of individual views from the officers of the big five and each made it clear his statement did not commit his government.