Egypt Asks British Troops to Leave

Minister Calls for End of 'Occupation' In Security Council

LAKE SUCCESS, August 11--Prime Minister Nokrashy Pasha of Egypt told the United Nations Security Council today that the situation in his country "might easily get out of hand" unless the Council puts an end to British "occupation" of the Nile Valley.

He pleaded for the second time within a week for the Council to order withdrawal of British troops from Egypt and termination of the British stay in the Anglo-Egyptian Sudan.

Sir Alexander Cadogan, British delegate, then made a 10,000-word statement which he said was intended to set the record straight. Each side now has spoken twice and Cadogan said he would reply later to Nokrashy Pasha's speech of today.

Cadogan told the Council that unity of the Nile Valley, one of the cardinal notes in the Egyptian appeal, is a "myth." He contended that the Anglo-Egyptian 20-year pact which runs until 1956, is legally in force and that the Council should drop Egypt's charges.

The British delegate said he regretted that in all of Nokrashy's speech "there should have been no word of recognition of what the British Commonwealth, assisted by its allies, did for Egypt during the second World War.

"I can only express my disappointment--to put it at the lowest--that we are now shown the door, with nothing but reproaches and abuse."

Cadogan spoke one hour.

The Council adjourned a 6:51 p.m. and will take up the Egyptian case again Wednesday. The Council will meet twice tomorrow to consider the Balkan and Indonesian questions.

Taking one hour and seven minutes, Nokrashy Pasha read a 9,000-word speech to the Council and a packed chamber. The renewal of debate drew one of the biggest crowds in recent Council history.