M.P.'s Plan for World Constitution Receives Airing Here in September

Sponsorship by the Student Council and other interested organizations was assured last night for a young Laborite Member of the British Parliament to speak here next September 29 on behalf of his plan for an unofficial World Constituent Assembly to meet in 1950 at Geneva.

Henry C. Usborne, placed on Parliament's back benches by his constituency of Acock's Green, Birmingham, will be making a tour of the United States next fall to promote a movement for world federal government. He is also making arrangements to talk at the National Press Club in Washington and the Overseas Press Club in New York City.

Patrick D. Dailey '50 and Michael Rothenberg '49, Student Council members, announced the University invitation, adding that other organizations such as the Liberal Union, the U.N. Council, and perhaps the World Federalists would also be welcome to cooperate in sponsoring Usborne.

A 33-year-old engineer, plant manager, and cricketer, Usborne has already formulated plans for the election of 88 English representatives to his proposed constitutional gathering which would assemble at Geneva, bypassing existing U.N. and diplomatic machinery.

The young M.P. has set his scheme in motion in 30 other countries including France, Italy, Belgium, Holland, and many of the Empire's Dominions as well as the United States.

Following Usborne's blueprints, one representative per million of population would be sent to Geneva to draft the constitution of the world.