Council Fiscal Report Shows Policy Change

Activities Budget Increases In Ratio to Charity Outlay

Pointing up the fact that the Student Council is no longer merely "an informal charity collection agency," but also an expanding student organ operating through varied committees, the 1946-47 treasurer's report, released yesterday, shows of a $18,761 total, $7,660 allotted to administrative expenditures.

In addition to this amount, $11,101 was turned over to charity. Nearly $3,890 was advanced to pull various class activities out of the red.

Weld Complied

The report was made public by Michael Rothenberg '49 and Patrick D. Dailey '50, summer Council representatives, after compilation by Council president Edric A. Weld, Jr. '46, last year's treasurer.

Prominent among expenditures last year was $660 for National Students Organization dues and delegates' expenses. Included in current appropriations is an additional $700 to send delegates to the NSO Madison convention at the end of this month.

Committee activities were in all cases supported by greater appropriations than in former years. Leading the last was the International Activities Committee with $326, followed by General Education with $118 and Extra Curricular Affairs with $113.

The Student Finance Committee spent $59 and the Curriculum and Tenure Committee accounted for $41. Fifty-one dollars was allocated to minor committee activities.

"Internal Revolution"

Signs of "an internal revolution within the Council" were cited by Weld as contributing to the greater expenditures. "The effects of the new constitution, the growing importance of widespread student interest, development of student participation on committees" show that activities have "taken on a wider scope," Weld said.

"Donations to charity can no longer be called the primary function of the Service Fund; the support of the Council activities has now become of equal importance," Weld continued. "The Council is no longer an informal center for collections, but the nucleus of a larger working organization."

Brooks Cut Largest

Phillips Brooks House received a lion's share of 1946-47 donations ($3,000), with the Red Cross ($2,000), March of Dimes ($600), U.S.O. ($500), and other organizations" ($5,001) accounting for $11,101 in charity assistance.

Added to a balance of $5,559 were nearly $18,000 in cash receipts last year, bringing the total income to $28,541.57. After the year's expenditures of $18,761.98, the balance as of June 30 remained at $4,779.59.