Veterans Theater Group Calls for Merger with Rival Dramatic Club

The Veterans Theater Workshop made the first move to unite the College's two dramatic groups last night. A unanimous vote of 50 members of the VTW assembled at Phillips Brooks House passed a six point merger resolution which will be forwarded to Ted Allegretti '47, president of the Harvard Dramatic Club.

Robert B. Watson '37, Associate dean of the College in charge of extra-curricular activities, has already expressed enthusiasm over the proposed merger.

To establish "a theater group at Harvard which will truly reflect the best that Harvard has to offer in theatrical entertainment," the Workshop proposed that "all resources, financial, technical and artistic, be pooled under a general production scheme."

With much of the work on its fall production of "Henry IV, Part 1," already behind it, the VTW suggests that the new organization adopt the bawdy Shakesperian comedy as its first offering.

Have Old Vic Script

The Workshop has already secured for its production the prompt script which the Old Vic used in its staging of the work in New York and London.

According to the merger proposal, the play would be recast to give HDC members "full opportunity to try out." It was further suggested that Allegretti, present HDC president, be appointed director.

The Brooks House meeting emphasized that its plan was not to be considered as final but went on to say that "the only point the VTW feels it cannot compromise on is the choice of 'Henry IV, Part 1,' as the new group's initial offering."

The Vets urge that the HDC agree to a joint meeting to work out details of the proposal and settle the difficulties they feel are sure to arise.