"I Was a Frail 97 Pound Weakling . . ."

Sargent College

Standing demurely a block beyond the Law School, where Everett Street runs into Massachusetts Avenue, Sargent College of Physical Education for Women has been turning out energetic young gym instructresses for 66 years. From its modest origin in 1881, when Dr. Dudley A. Sargent opened a "Sanatory Gymnasium" on Church Street, Sargent has progressed steadily to a broad and varied curriculum, with a student body of 500. In 1904, the school moved from Church Street to the present site, and slipped under the wing of Boston University in 1929, where it has been ever since.

Most Sargent girls are easterners, but some come from as far away as China and Cuba. When a freshman arrives, she is gently introduced to the Sargent way of life, and to Cambridge, which, an official handbook informs her, is "in the midst of New England's beauty, charm and intrigue." "If history interests you," the handbook continues, "visit Harvard Yard." Once acclimated, Sargent freshmen begin a four-year program which consists mostly of training in physical education and therapy, with a scattering of fundamental academic courses.

During the regular school year, the girls run an involved Student Government, and have organizations ranging from the YWCA to a Drum and Bugle Corps. They also possess a Retummoe Club (Retummoe is "commuter" spelled backwards) for social gatherings. In the Retummoe Room, the girls may smoke, "if done with discretion." However, Regulation G warns that "Sargent College is definitely opposed to the use of alcoholic beverages." A girl who drinks on the sly may easily be expelled. In the months of June and September, students adjourn to the college camp in Peterborough, New Hampshire, or soccer, hockey, lacrosse, speedball, and other outdoor activities.

In the field of publications, Sargent produces a year book, a literary magazine, which comes out a few times a year, and "Sa-Nu" (Sargent News), a monthly newspaper full of club announcements, jokes, and gossip. "Sa-Nu" announced in its November issue that the informal dance of October 18 was a whopping success, especially since there were too many male guests present. The editors of "Sa-Nu" urged their readers, "Let's all go to the next dance on November 15th and make up that surplus." Miss Elesnor Kitchin, Social Director, remarked that the surplus--mostly Harvard students--was taken care of in short order. "The girls like Harvard men best of all," she said.

"Just because this is a school of physical education, a lot of people think the girls are a bit rough," Miss Kitchin continued. "That isn't true at all; they learn how to be social hostesses." She noted that student government leaders had joined the faculty a few years ago in a campaign to make the girls quit walking around Cambridge in slacks and dungarees. After a stern battle, the rank and file agreed to wear these epitomes only on the upper floors of the dormitories. Miss Kitchin said in a firm voice: "Any girls in slacks or dungarees you see around here aren't Sargent girls. They're probably from Radcliffe or somewhere."