Britishers Like U.S. from Mory's to Pacific

American Standard of Living Impresses

Things couldn't have been much jolier for Oxford. Not only had its three-man debate team lorded it over its international rival, Harvard, but also over most of the remaining American colleges it had faced during the four-month debate tour now rounding into its final stages.

"Everywhere we have gone, we have had a rip-roaring time," the Britishers declared yesterday after the Debate Council had shown them the College. "We've sung "The Whiffenpoof Song' with the Yale debaters at Mory's, and we had our first glimpse of the Pacific after our match with California, but right here in Cambridge we have been made to feel more at home than anywhere else on the trip."

Happy Surprise

Sir Edward C. G. Boyle, the member of the team who did not debate Sunday, spoke for the trio yesterday, when he asserted that the British do not realize what America actually is like. "We found the United States quite different from England, especially in its standard of living which is extremely high compared to ours--higher than we could have imagined."

On the other hand, the Oxford team said, Americans hold great misconceptions about England today. "Life in Great Britain is quite different from Great Britain in Life (magazine); where most Americans seem to get their ideas about the way we live, claimed Anthony N. W. Benn, captain of the Oxford team.

English in Good Spirits

Life and most other American magazines picture the British as being completely depressed with everything, Boyle explained. "In reality, the average Englishman is in fairly good spirits right now, with a wide range of interests in all lines."

Asked if they thought America should nationalize her industry as Britain has done, the Oxford debaters contends that they saw no present need for such action "but that unless America does something to modify her traditional economic policy, she may be heading for a bust," Boyle stated.