Republicans Meet HYD Over Radio, Plan New Drive

Two Young Republicans defended Universal Military Training, as provided for in their platform, against an HYD member and a Boston University co-ed on the Student Forum. broadcast over WHDH Thursday night.

Speakers for UMT were Jack Casey 3L and Robert A. N. Fisher '46, both members of the HYRC Speakers Bureau, which grooms club members for speaking before outside organizations. Opposing them were Geoffrey W. White '48, a member of the Harvard Youth for Democracy, and Miss Betsy Cushing, chairman of the Greater Boston Council of Students Opposed to UMT.

HYRC Platform

The HYRC's stand on the controversial issue was determined by the clause in their platform pledging support of UMT only as long as no satisfactory substitute for it could be found.

A Young Republican Club spring membership drive will great students as they return from their between-terms vacation, William A. Rusher, president of the club, announced last night. Rusher also revealed that he expected the membership amassed by the drive to surpass all previous enrollments of University political groups.

The HYRC will appear again on the WHDH forum February 12, when it will take a pro stand on the Taft-Hartley bill.