Varsity Enters Ten Men In KofC Games Tonight

Bert Coville," hurdler on the Varsity, track team, says he feels about three feet tall. He has to run the 45-yard high hurdles against Harrison Dillard at the Garden tonight. "Maybe there'll be enough other guys running so I can get lost in the crowd," Coville said yesterday. Charlie Summerall, freshmen hurdler, will also run.

The other eight Crimson entries in the Knights of Columbus games won't have to contend with the world's number one hurdler, but they will have their hands full. Pole-vaulters Bill Lawrence and Gene Lockett with match leaps with Bob Richards of Illinois (winner of last year's Millrose vault at 14 feet, and the favorite tonight), Boo Morcom, University of New Hampshire triple-threat field man, and Yalio freshmen Bill Apel, who set a national schoolboy record of 12 feet, six inches at Andover last year.

Barwise in High Society

It's the same story in the high jump, where Crimson freshman Dick Barwise will compete. Barwise, whose father will be in charge of the high jump tonight, has negotiated six feet three inches, the same height his rather cleared at Brown. Barwise the younger will try to set a family record tonight and he'll have plenty of competition to push him. There will be Dave Albritten, second in the 1936 Olympics, and winner of last year's national A.A.U. high jump with an effort of six feet, six inches; and Irv Mondshein, N.Y.U. handy man.

John Spivak, leading Varsity sprinter, will have it easy. All he has to do is beat veteran Barney Ewell, who cleaned up in the IC4A's and nationals for Penn State 10 years ago and is still going strong. Coach Mikkola is looking past the K. of C. carnival to February 7, when his Crimson machine gets its first formal workout of the season against Princeton and Army at West Point.

Milo Relay

In the mile relay event tonight, the Crimson will be more in its own class. A quartet composed of Harvey Thayer. Al Ruby, Dave Hamblett, and Jim Wheeler--the best one-mile combine in the Varsity camp at present--will race Holy Cross and Brown. Jaakko will be surprised if they go below 3:20.

He views tonight's competition as a warm-up for some of the better Varsity personnel. And he realizes the condition his athletes may be in as a result of exams. "I only hope they don't fall asleep out there tomorrow night," he said yesterday.

Al Ruby, scheduled to run the second leg tonight, provides perhaps the strongest wallop. Ruby, Wheeler and Thayer, by the way, all got their cinder schooling in Milton. Ruby was a star sprinter and quarter miler for the High School in 1944-45, the same year Thayer was cleaning up across town at the Academy. Wheeler set an Academy quarter mile record a couple of years earlier.