Spivak Reaches Sprint Final In KofC Track Competition

Don't look now but Harvard may have a sprinter. Anyway, that's the way it appeared in the K. of C. meet at the Garden Saturday night when stocky John Spivak fought his way into the final of the 50-yard dash against a whole flock of name runners.

Spivak, a Sophomore who locked even more boyish alongside veterans like Barney Ewell, Eddie Conwell and Herby Thompson, was reasonably nerveless in all three sprints. He beat Herby Thompson in one of the qualifying heats, nailing second place. In his semi-final heat he broke on top and led all the way, winning in 5.6. Then came the final. The Crimson sprinter was way over his head in this one, finishing fifth behind Barney Ewell.

Elsewhere at the Garden Saturday night, freshman high jumper Dick Barwise hit six feet, one inch--good, but not nearly good enough to do any damage against the kind of competition he was facing.

In the pole-vault, Gene Lockett was hotter than teammate Bill Lawrence, getting up over 12 feet, six inches, although failing to place.

In the mile relay test against Holy Cross and Brown, converted sprinter Harvey Thayer proved he could go a full quarter mile when he opened up a five yard lead on the first leg. Al Ruby and Dave Hamblett held this bulge and Jim Wheeler was able to coast home in the clear when Brown's anchor man, Royce Crimmius, run into him and fell down on the curve leading into the backstretch of the final lap.